Forex Stock Exchange Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Forex Stock Exchange Forum

Forum About Trading on Forex,Stock,Binary Options, CryptoCurrency and NFTs

Thor Expert Advisor

You are not connected. Please login or register

Currency pairs

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Currency pairs Empty Currency pairs Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:43 pm

gandra

gandra
Global Moderator

The currencies are always traded in pairs. For example, EUR/USD, which means Euro over US dollars, would be a typical pair. In this case, the Euro, being the first currency can be called the base currency. The second currency, by default USD, is called the counter or quote currency.

As mentioned, the first currency is the base, therefore in a pair you can refer the amount of that currency as being the amount required to purchase one unit of the second currency.

So, if you want to buy the currency pair, you have to buy the EURO and sell the USD simultaneously. On the other hand, if you are looking forward to sell the currency pair, you have to sell the EURO and buy the USD.
The most important thing to understand in a currency pair, or more precisely in a Forex transaction, is that you will be selling or buying the same currency

Short info about me! I am a software developer at the same time. I developed several trading robots (expert advisors) for trading on the MetaTrader 5 and 4 trading platforms.
  • Expert Advisors on the MQL5 Market. My Current Offer
  • Official Telegram Channel: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Official Facebook Channel: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.tradingview.com/u/DraganDrenjanin/ https://www.mql5.com/en/users/drgandra/seller#products

2Currency pairs Empty Major currencies pairs Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:46 pm

gandra

gandra
Global Moderator

US Dollar – The United States dollar is the world’s main currency – a universal measure to evaluate any other currency traded on Forex. All currencies are generally quoted in US dollar terms. Under conditions of international economic and political unrest, the US dollar is the main safe-haven currency, which was proven particularly well during the Southeast Asian crisis of 1997-1998.

As it was indicated, the US dollar became the leading currency toward the end of the Second World War along the Bretton Woods Accord, as the other currencies were virtually pegged against it. The introduction of the Euro in 1999 reduced the dollar’s importance only marginally.
The other major currencies traded against the US dollar are the Euro, Japanese Yen, British Pound and the Swiss Franc.

Euro – The Euro was designed to become the premier currency in trading by simply being quoted in American terms. Like the US dollar, the Euro has a strong international presence stemming from members of the European Monetary Union. The currency remains plagued by unequal growth, high unemployment, and government resistance to structural changes. The pair was also weighed in 1999 and 2000 by outflows from foreign investors, particularly Japanese, who were forced to liquidate their losing investments in euro-denominated assets. Moreover, European money managers rebalanced their portfolios and reduced their Euro exposure as their needs for hedging currency risk in Europe declined.

Japanese Yen – The Japanese Yen is the third most traded currency in the world; it has a much smaller international presence than the US dollar or the Euro. The Yen is very liquid around the world, practically around the clock. The natural demand to trade the Yen concentrated mostly among the Japanese keiretsu, the economic and financial conglomerates. The Yen is much more sensitive to the fortunes of the Nikkei index, the Japanese stock market, and the real estate market.

British Pound – Until the end of the World War II, the Pound was the currency of reference. The currency is heavily traded against the Euro and the US dollar, but has a spotty presence against the other currencies. Prior to the introduction of the Euro, both the Pound benefited from any doubts about the currency convergence. After the introduction of the Euro, Bank of England is attempting to bring the high U.K. rates closer to the lower rates in the Euro zone. The Pound could join the Euro in the early 2000’s, provided that the U.K. referendum is positive.

Swiss Franc – The Swiss Franc is the only currency of a major European country that belongs neither to the European Monetary Union nor the G-7 countries. Although the Swiss economy is relatively small, the Swiss Franc is one of the four major currencies, closely resembling the strength and quality of the Swiss economy and finance. Switzerland had a very close economic relationship with Germany, and thus to the Euro zone. Therefore, in terms of political uncertainty in the East, the Swiss Franc is favored generally over the Euro.

Typically, it is believed that the Swiss Franc is a stable currency. Actually, from a foreign exchange point of view, the Swiss Franc closely resembles the patterns of the Euro, but lacks its liquidity. As the demand for it exceeds supply, the Swiss Franc can be more volatile than the Euro.

The Canadian Dollar and the Australian Dollar are also part of the currencies traded on the Forex market but do not count as being part of the major currencies due to their insufficient volume and circulation. They can only be traded against the US Dollar.

Canadian Dollar - Canada decided to use the dollar instead of a Pound Sterling system because of the ubiquity of Spanish dollars in North America in the 18th century and early 19th century and because of the standardization of the American dollar. The Province of Canada declared that all accounts would be kept in dollars as of January 1, 1858, and ordered the issue of the first official Canadian dollars in the same year. The colonies that would come together in Canadian Confederation progressively adopted a decimal system over the next few years.

Australian Dollar - The Australian Dollar was introduced in February 14, 1966, not only replacing the Australian Pound but also introducing a decimal system. Following the introduction of the Australian Dollar in 1966, the value of the national currency continued to be managed in accord with the Bretton Woods gold standard as it had been since 1954. Essentially the value of the Australian Dollar was managed with reference to gold, although in practice the US dollar was used. In 1983, the Australian government «floated» the Australian dollar, meaning that it no longer managed its value by reference to the US dollar or any other foreign currency. Today the value of the Australian Dollar is managed with almost exclusive reference to domestic measures of value such as the CPI (Consumer Price Index).

Short info about me! I am a software developer at the same time. I developed several trading robots (expert advisors) for trading on the MetaTrader 5 and 4 trading platforms.
  • Official Telegram Channel: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
  • Official Facebook Channel: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.tradingview.com/u/DraganDrenjanin/ https://www.mql5.com/en/users/drgandra/seller#products

3Currency pairs Empty Forex Symbol Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:54 pm

gandra

gandra
Global Moderator

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Definitions

Pip

Price Interest point (Pip) is the term used in currency market to represent the smallest price increment in a currency. It is often referred to as ticks or points in the market. In EUR/USD, a movement from .9018 to .9019 is one pip. In USD/JPY, a movement from 128.50 to 128.51 is one pip.

Average trading range

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Pip Values – according to your trading platform from $7.00 to $10.00 USD.
Pip Spreads – according to your trading platform from 3 to 20 pips.

Volume

The trading volume measures how much “money” is being traded. During some types of news breaks and when the New York’s exchange is open, the volume is obviously higher. The volume indicates us that more things can change. There no real strong correlation for volume, good trades is being developed even when the Forex volume is relatively low.

Buying and Selling short

Buying = term to use when buying a currency pair to open a trade.
Selling short = term to use when selling a currency pair to open a trade.
Both terms, refer to things we do to open a trade.
On the other hand, to exit a trade, you will have to use the terms “selling” and “buying-back”. The term “selling” refers to what we do to exit a trade that initially started by “buying”. The term “buying-back” refers to what we do to exit a trade that initially started by “selling-short”.
Basically the term, “selling-short” can be referred to the futures and commodities market. For instance the mentality of buying a field to plant vegetables that will grow in the future is the same thing than buying a currency and to predict that it will eventually go short.

Bid/Ask Spread

A spread is the difference between the bid and the ask price. The bid price is the price at which you may sell your currency pair for. The ask price is the price at which you must buy the currency pair. The ask price is always higher then the bid price. Profits in the market are made from charging the ask price for a currency pair and buying it from someone else at the bid price.
The bid/ask spread increases when there is uncertainty about what is going to happen in the market.

Technical Definitions

Trading Platform

A trading platform is, along with the charts, one of the most important tools that a trader will be using while trading on the Forex market. By definition, a trading platform is an exchange account where you can buy and sell a currency.

Entry Stop

An entry stop is executed when the exchange rate breaks through a specific level. The client placing a stop entry order believes that when the market’s momentum breaks through a specified level, the rate will continue in that direction. The execution of a stop entry order may involve a limited degree of slippage, usually two pips or less.

Entry Limit

An entry limit is executed when the exchange rate touches (not breaks) a specific level. The client placing a limit entry order believes that after touching a specific level, the rate will bounce in the opposite direction of its previous momentum. Limit entry orders are always executed at the specified level.

4Currency pairs Empty Types of Forex Orders Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:56 pm

gandra

gandra
Global Moderator

Market Order – An order where you can buy or sell a currency pair at the market price the moment that the order is processed.

Example: If you are looking to place an order for JPY when the dealing price is 104.00/05, a market order will request to buy JPY at 104.00 or will request to sell JPY at 104.05.

Entry order –
An order where you can buy or sell a currency pair when it reaches a certain price target. In theory, this can be any price. You can set an entry order for the low price of a time period or the high price of a time period.
“I want to buy this currency pair at a certain price, if it never reaches that price, I don’t want to purchase the pair”.
The entry order allows you to choose a price and place an order to buy at that price.

Stop Order - An order that becomes a market order when a particular price level is reached and broken. A stop order is placed below the current market value of that currency.

Example: If you have an open buy JPY position, which you bought at 104.00 and you want to set a stop order in case JPY’s value starts to depreciate (to stop your loss). Since the JPY’s currency appreciates when the dealing rate moves from 104.00 closer to parity with the USD (102 JPY/1USD), a movement in the opposite direction would necessitate a stop order. For instance, you could set a stop order rate to sell JPY at 103.50, thus closing your position at a 50-pip loss.

Limit Order - An order that becomes a market order when a particular price level is reached. A limit order is placed above the current market value of that currency.

Example: If you have an open buy JPY position, which you bought at 104.00, and you want to set a limit order to protect your profit, you would set a limit order at a number, which indicates that JPY has appreciated, such as 104.5. When the market reaches 104.5, your position will automatically be closed, resulting in a 50-pip gain.

OCO Order – One Cancels Other. An order placed so as to take advantage of price movement, which consists of both a Stop and a Limit price. Once one level is reached, one half of the order will be executed (either Stop or Limit) and the remaining order canceled (either Stop or Limit). This type of order would close your position if the market moved to either the stop rate or the limit rate, thereby closing your trade, and, at the same time, canceling the other entry order.

Example: If you have an open buy JPY position, which you bought at 104.00, and you want to set a limit and a stop order, you could place an OCO order. If your OCO limit rate was 103.5 and OCO stop rate was 104.50, once the market rate reaches 103.5, the original JPY position would be closed and the stop rate would be canceled.

If Done Order – If Done Orders are supplementary orders whose placement in the market is contingent upon the execution of the order to which it is associated.

5Currency pairs Empty Trade Intervals Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:57 pm

gandra

gandra
Global Moderator

The chart software will list, for each interval, an open price, a low price, a high price and a close price. The open price is the price at the beginning of the period. The low price is the lowest price achieved during the period while the high price is the highest price achieved during the period. The close price is simply the last price achieved during the period.

You can choose the time interval that you would like to trade under. Possibilities are: 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, 4 hours, daily and week.

The larger the time interval is, the wider the price movement will be. For example, you should expect to see a higher price gain from a trade entered using daily charts than you would normally see when using 15 minutes charts. The daily chart based trade may take weeks or even months to run its course On the other hand, the 30 minutes charts will have higher profits then the 15 minutes charts. However, you can get more profits in trading more trades using the 15 minutes charts.

6Currency pairs Empty Re: Currency pairs Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:02 pm

Vlad

Vlad

I prefer short-term trading. I have better results with it

7Currency pairs Empty Re: Currency pairs Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 am

Robert Medina

For my trading I just trade EURUSD, EURJPY and GBPUSD pairs. I welcome these three pairs more as I have done an astounding system get some data about on them. To me it is a sharp expect to trade conceivably a few pairs. I figure each beginner should begin with a particular match. When he perceives the attributes of that join then he can pick another. Keep in mind neglect each match has its own particular qualities. I no uncertainty on the planet trade with Jmfinancial.Eu broker. This broker is phenomenal at their affiliations. They generally deal with their customers comfort. This broker is to a momentous degree dependable as well. I feel secured and open to working with this broker.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum